Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I'll try to make this long story, short:

My father-in-law has co-owned/owned and operated and pizza/sandwich shop in a small city (population 55K) for 50+ years. He will be 70 this year and is looking to sell the business. He has $1,500/month coming in social security and not much else in the way of retirement savings. In other words, the sale of the business is his retirement. He actually has a potential buyer (possibly a commercial buyer) that wants to meet with him in the next 30 days.

Facts:

Building: 3,500 sq feet ESTIMATED VALUE $120K
Parking lot: 11,500 sq feet ESTIMATED VALUE $130K
Beer/Liquor License: ESTIMATED VALUE $75K - $200K

With regard to the beer/liquor license, it is difficult to value as the area is saturated and new licenses cannot be purchased from the state.

From Tax Returns
1997 Gross Sales: $427K
1997 Gross Profit: 97K
1997 Net Income: 61K

1998 Gross Sales: $446K
1998 Gross Profit: 100K
1998 Net Income: 54K

1999 Gross Sales: $453K
1999 Gross Profit: 88K
1999 Net Income: 46K

Two part question:

* What is the business/property worth?

* What should he do with the money?

I sincerely appreciate any and all responses. My father-in-law's retirement/life depend on this.

Mario

Note: I have posted this message on several boards.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.