Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
Help me out on this one. Back in the Usenet days, I used to participate in a Corvette group. I always thought the Corvette coupe let in more than enough fresh air, with the roof panels removed, but the convertible affectionados compared the coupe with the removable roof panels to sex with a condom. I'm not a huge fan of the outdoors - I like computer gaming in a darkened room more than hiking in fresh air. In addition, you seem so exposed in a convertible - pedestrians, or bikers, or folks in other cars can start a dialogue, while in the Coupe, you're pleasantly insulated from the outside world. I'm open to be convinced - I just want to hear why open air motoring is so great.

I admit, I never really cared for convertibles before I bought the S2000. I was just an enthusiast looking for something that would be fun to drive. The S2000 certainly met my performance needs, and the fact that it was a roadster was kind of an afterthought. But, I came to find that the experience of top-down driving is much better than I ever expected.

There's something about an open-air roadster that's just missing in a coupe. I don't know if I can put my finger in it. It's the wind in your face, the sound of the car all around you. You feel the speed of the car more, instead of just seeing it through the windows. Your senses are just immersed that much deeper in the driving experience. Driving home with the top down after a long day at the office is my version of therapy.

On days I drive with the top up (it's hot here most of the year as well), it's the same car - drives the same, performs the same. But the experience is somehow different, something's lacking. Then again, if you've never had it, you may never miss it, either...

I've read reviews of the M Coupe versus the Porsche Cayman, where the Porsche wins, but I don't think that the Porsche looks as cool.

Personally, I LOVE the look of the Cayman with its pseudo-911 Turbo shape. The Cayman loses out a bit on value....just too much sticker on that car. IMO, they're limiting the potential car by trying to slot it beneath the 911. Can you image what a beast the Cayman would be with the 3.6 or 3.8 from the 911/911S!
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer - Please Read
A message about professional advice.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.