Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Greetings:

My first post to this board.

Bio: I am a 35 year old. I have invested in stocks (and only stocks) for 23 years. I know my way around equities pretty well.

Now several of my retiring family members are looking to me for guidance. All either have almost all equities and are very short on income or have lump sums of cash and need to boost yield (i.e. both need to do some serious bond investing).

I know next to nothing about bond investing. I understand pretty well the basic concepts: the interplay between interest rates and principal appreciation (or loss), longer terms = more risk = higher yields, etc.

I plan to ladder the bond allocation, diversifying between CD's for 0-5 years (higher yields than T-bills & notes) and Government and corporates (and a few moderately junkies) for > 5 years. The Treasuries and CD's should be easy. I really need some help on strategies for researching and selecting corporate bonds.

If this is an old question answered in earlier threads, please forgive me. I don't have time to sift thru 20000 messages. If someone could lead me to threads, websites, books, etc. on researching and selecting corporate bonds for retirement portfolios I (and my family members) would be very grateful.

Best regards,

mtpirate
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
You seem to be on the right track.

There in a Bond board in Fooldom where these things are discussed. Enter bond in the board box below and press find.

You will find links to bond education information in message 218 on the Bond board, links to bond yields in message 40, CD yields in message 36, and numerous discussions of how and where to buy bonds.

Best of luck to you.
Print the post Back To Top