Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi guys,

Over the past few years I've built up a little egg in two retirement accounts, a standard and a Roth IRA. I have other stuff, like a Vanguard account and my 401(k), but these two accounts are the only two that I've done any individual stock picking in. I started with the Roth, and opened the standard IRA later because there was a time when I wasn't covered by a retirement plan at work so it was good for taxes. Anyway, I haven't paid much attention to which stocks were going into what accounts, and I think maybe I should look at whether I can optimize them to achieve [something]. Hopefully y'all can help me. Here are my stocks. Obviously, some have done better than others, but for simplicity let's assume each ticker is equally weighted (for instance, I have a x2 position in AAPL and AGNC):

Roth IRA:
AGNC - REIT
NLY - REIT
AAPL - Tech
INTC - Tech
IBM - Tech / Services
JNJ - Pharma / Consumer Staples
KMB - Consumer Staples
PCL - REIT
PT - Utility
VZ - Utility

Standard IRA:
AGNC - REIT
AAPL - Tech
ARR - REIT
GLW - Tech
MCD - Consumer Staples
OHI - REIT
POT - Natural Resources
SLW - Natural Resources
TGT - Retail
STX - Tech

Gosh, writing it out feels like airing dirty laundry! The intent of this post is not for me to defend these stock picks, but rather to see if there are any good reasons for any of the Roth stocks to be in the Standard account or vice versa. As you can see, they all yield something, and I am DRIPping all of them. Maybe nothing needs to be done here, but I've never looked at it with an eye towards, well, whatever it is I should have an eye towards. Anything jump out at you?
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.