Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I was informed that it may be advisable to take a long term gain on a
Stock in my portfolio to pay college tuition resulting in (for my tax
bracket 10%)a 50% reduction of tax liability. 5% is a great deal!

I just have to provide proof to IRS that the proceeds were used to pay
tuition. I tried to look around for the requirements, but
can't find anything on the rule.

Scottrade said all they would need from us is a note from me and my
wife authorizing them to issue a check to the college. For proof,
would a copy of the Sale Confirmation and a copy of Scottrade's monthly
statement be sufficent to satisfy IRS?

I have saved cash on the side to pay for my son's tuition. I
don't really want to sell the stock, but if I buy it back with the
ready cash on the side, I would be starting with a new base.
It certainly sounds like a smart idea.

My son will be attending in the fall. I am trying to plan for
this strategy in advance.

Thanks for your help,

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.