Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0

I am a new independent optometrist working at a Wal-Mart Vision Center. I have no employees, so I jsut take home cash each night. (I have had to secure my own liability, disability, and health insurance, etc. and obviously don't have a 401k to contribute to.) I am about to pay off my school credit card debit and am anxious to get going on socking away for retirement.

Does anyone have advice for me? I am looking for information on SEP-IRAs and whatever other tax-saving vehicles are available to me as a sole-proprietor with no employees. (For example, can I contribute to a Roth-IRA, even though I'm self employed or am I limited to the SEP-IRA?) Are there any good books out there, or should I just talk to an accountant? Any thoughts? Thanks,

-Doug
Print the post Back To Top
Doug,

Start with Fidelity ask for Retirement Dept.,

they'll help you out. Also read as much as you can.

Get a book call "Financial Dictionary of terms"

by BARRON

and also: "What you need to know before you invest"

also by BARRON (Any bookstores will carry them)

I hope this helps.....
Since teachers (of which I am one) and doctors are notorious for not understanding finances; and, I am at the end of my career and you are just starting yours I will pass along a few tips for whatever they are worth. Talk to an accountant, a life insurance person and a stock broker, or two of each. Most all of them are trained as financial planners and can start giving you an education on the many different avenues you can take. Just keep in mind they usually represent special products, which they are selling, so don't buy anything until you have explored them all and done additional ivestigating on your own. Remember no one will be more concerned about your money then you are.