Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I'm thinking of transferring money from a traditional IRA to a Roth IRA. And I also expect that I might need some of that money before I'm 59-½.

#1: As I understand it, I'll have to pay income tax on that amount, but not the 10% penalty. This is called a conversion contribution.

Is #1 correct?

#2: I can withdraw regular contributions (made before the current tax year) to my Roth IRA without penalty, because the contributions were made post tax.

Is #2 correct?

#3: If I make a conversion contribution this year, I can withdraw it next year without penalty?

Is #3 correct?

#4: If all of these are correct, then this is a way to get money out of an IRA and skip the 10% penalty, so long as I'm willing to wait until January 1st of next year.

Is #4 correct?

#5: I can, on December 31, transfer all the money in my traditional IRA to my Roth IRA, and only pay the regular income tax on it, then, the very next day, withdraw that money from the Roth IRA with no penalty.

Is #5 correct?
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.