Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 18
Resistance to the vaccines is a main reason the United States is unlikely to reach herd immunity, but it is not the only one.

...daily vaccination rates are slipping, and there is widespread consensus among scientists and public health experts that the herd immunity threshold is not attainable — at least not in the foreseeable future, and perhaps not ever.

...the virus will most likely become a manageable threat that will continue to circulate in the United States for years to come, still causing hospitalizations and deaths but in much smaller numbers.

How much smaller is uncertain and depends in part on how much of the nation, and the world, becomes vaccinated and how the coronavirus evolves. It is already clear, however, that the virus is changing too quickly, new variants are spreading too easily and vaccination is proceeding too slowly for herd immunity to be within reach anytime soon.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/03/health/covid-herd-immunit...

Stupid, stupid trumplicans !*&^#E^%=8-[
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 21
from the comments:

- Saying that not getting vaccinated is a "just a personal choice" is like saying that driving 120 mph on the highway is a "just a personal choice." No, it's not. But more to the point, we need to stop indulging the anti-vaccine crowd. If you work in the health field, law enforcement, or any other job where you are in contact with the public and you refuse to get vaccinated, you should be fired, period.

- They need a campaign emphasizing Americans duty to protect their friends and neighbors, as if it were a great wartime effort. If you get vaccinated, you’re one of the good guys. I remember being young and naive and skipping the flu shot because I was heathy and never got sick. A friend who studied infectious diseases at the CDC (what a great friend to have!) explained to me that I wasn’t getting my flu shot for myself, but I was doing it for my pregnant coworker, and the guy in chemo from cancer, and for my grandparents. As obvious as that sounds now, “public health” was just something that hadn’t occurred to me yet.

- Letting people remain unvaccinated and eventually needing to lock down is a much greater restriction on freedom than requiring people to get the vaccine would be. I live in Spain where the case numbers required us to not leave our houses for four months. Don’t tell me that it’s because you value freedom that you won’t get the vaccine. Freedom for a small number of people to not get a shot one or two days vs freedom of everyone to see friends, not wear a mask, live their lives? No contest.

- There is large overlap between people not interested in getting the shot and those who don't think the pandemic is a big deal to begin with. They couldn't wear a mask for a ten minute trip in Home Depot. They couldn't skip getting together for Christmas to help minimize spread in their community. The only thing that's going to get them to do anything is have it affect them personally: No flying without a shot, no concerts, no sporting events. Whether Corporate America can step up and bring on these requirements remains to be seen, but hopefully it will come for the good of the country.

from alstro:

Since many trumplicans believe covid escaped or was deliberately released from a Communist Chinese lab, why don't they assume this is germ warfare and get vaccinated to defeat Red China?
No. of Recommendations: 1
I was in a discussion group yesterday in which several people mentioned family members who refuse vaccination. They say that they are waiting for herd immunity, because then they won't need to get vaccinated themselves.

We have a better chance of achieving herd mentality.
“Herd Mentality” proves that Trump was an IDIOT!!!

at least a dozen times while in front of microphones, he called Herd Immunity>>> Herd Mentality!!!
No. of Recommendations: 0
“Herd Mentality” proves that Trump was an IDIOT!!!

As if we needed any more proof.
at least a dozen times while in front of microphones, he called Herd Immunity>>> Herd Mentality!!!

which is what makes it so funny! And so sad.
No. of Recommendations: 5
I get why government is reluctant to mandate vaccinations, but it is beyond me why every business is not requiring all employees (who can safely get the vaccine)to be vaccinated, or be tested every day before entering the workplace. And, wherever feasible, all customers. There are actually nursing homes at which the staff is not required to be vaccinated! Proof of vaccination or current (i.e. today) negative Covid test should be required at every point of entry. No one unvaccinated should be able to ride public transportation, enter a restaurant, office building, without a negative test from that day to indicate that they are unlikely to be contagious. The ONLY way we can stop a more dangerous variant from evolving is by cutting off chains of transmission wherever we can, everywhere in the world.

We cannot afford to cater to the pro-virus advocates among us. Their inability to grasp the concept of an existential threat and behave accordingly will be the death us.. (See novel coronavirus, climate change, etc.)

regards,
Kris
...at least a dozen times while in front of microphones, he called Herd Immunity>>> Herd Mentality!!!

This might be a Freudian slip. Trump's followers are accurately described as having a herd mentality.
If you work in the health field, law enforcement, or any other job where you are in contact with the public and you refuse to get vaccinated, you should be fired, period.

The FDA issued an emergency use authorization (EUA) for all Covid-19 vaccines. Under FDA EUA guidance no one can be mandated to receive the vaccine.
If you work in the health field, law enforcement, or any other job where you are in contact with the public and you refuse to get vaccinated, you should be fired, period.

I work in one of these environments and nearly everyone has gotten his/her two jabs and didn't have much problem doing it. The few holdouts are **very ** annoying to me and very selfish. What I hear most is that "the long-term health effects are not known" and so they say they will wait until some unspecified time that satisfies their notion of long-term.

Cretins.

Pete
What I hear most is that "the long-term health effects are not known"

either are the long-term health effects of fire extinguisher foam.
Was sitting in a hot spring tonight and got into a conversation with an anti-vaxer. He's convinced that the vaccine is more dangerous than the virus. He will absolutely not get vaccinated. He tossed out a lot of 'facts' and 'statistics' that I'm sure circulate amongst the anti-vax crowd. Almost all nonsense.
What I hear most is that "the long-term health effects are not known"

However, the short- and medium-term effects of falling ill w/covid are well known.

Ijits.