Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Here are some tips regarding color choices (passed along to my from my mother, who has a background in construction and real estate):

-choose colors that harmonize well with each other; make sure all your paint colors look good next to each other so that the entire house has a cohesive feel to it

- warm colors tend to feel more inviting than cool colors, so I would choose warmer versions of whatever colors you choose

-keep carpets, cabinets, etc. fairly neutral if you're at all concered with resale value (the above tips will also help with resale value as well as making your home pleasant to live in)

Finally, as for the carpet color, the townhome I'm living in now has a beautiful golden beige color for the carpets, and it's great! It doesn't show stains (and it's had drinks and even dog pee--unfortunately) on it, and it still looks great. I'd definitely go with the mid-shade of carpet rather than the lighter as it would wear well.

If you're ever planning on having kids or pets in the house, that darker carpet will pay off. Or if you're ever thinking of selling.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.