Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Here I think Paintless Dent Repair of hail damage generally runs about $100 for the first dent and $10 for each additional. Some insurers are trying it, with an assurance of following with more traditional repair methods if the insured is not satisfied with the results. The more traditional methods depend on where the dimples are located. Heat is used to raise dimples where it's possible - Obviously, you can't readily use heat on a roof panel with a Styrofoam backer board and headliner beneath it. Sometimes the dimples are picked up with a pick hammer. Generally, they follow with a body file and fill dimples that they can't otherwise reach with body filler, primer and repaint, usually with a polyurethane base coat/clear coat. Paint matching is now a science as much as an art, with sample chips for virtually every variation of a paint code and computerized paint mixing equipment. Dented trim pieces generally are replaced. A body shop manager to whom I referred a lot of insureds once told me that he didn't look forward to fixing hail damaged cars - It's very tedious and time consuming work, but his well equipped and staffed shop always did excellent work and I never had an insured complain about the finished result. The shop he managed was a Chevrolet dealership located in Collinsville, IL. At the time they did a lot of paint repair work for GM throughout the greater St. Louis area. They had a very impressive on-site Sikkens paint system.
http://www.sikkens.com/en/About/World_of_Sikkens/ The shop manager has since retired and I haven't referred insureds to the shop in some time.
Print the post  

Announcements

Beware Flood-Damaged Cars
Know what you are getting, don't get stuck with a Katrina victim. Check these links before you buy.
Disclaimer - Please Read
A message about professional advice.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.