No. of Recommendations: 1
Here in California you must give a "3 day notice to pay or quit" if they are late in their rent. Then, if they don't pay, you must give them either a 30-day notice or 60-day notice. If the tenant has been there up to one year then a 30-day will suffice. If the tenant has been there a year and a day (or more) then a 60-day notice is required. Of course, during that time the tenant may not pay you at all but you still have to wait. After the 60 days you can set up a court appearance but you won't be getting in right away. The tenant may not move either. It can be a huge mess for the landlord in this state.

Print the post  


Useful Resources
Our Home Center has all you need to make buying and owning a home a great experience. Get or refinance a mortgage and much more!
Buying/Selling a Home FAQ

Mortgage Professor
Offsite resource for mortgage questions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.