Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
Here is my attempt at “stirring the pot”. :-) (For those who don't know, I am neither for nor against Jim Crammer or CNBC professionally or personally...I support self education from all sources)

How many investors host an investing show? How many other previous fund managers, brokers, or investing educators have their own show and provide investing picks, tips, information, and education on live television for free? Jim Cramer IMHO is what a hedge fund manager is and does. His style of investing may not fit into everyone’s portfolio. That’s ok, we all have our own way doing things but not many of us have the intestinal fortitude to do it in front of millions of viewers. Is Cramer the best investor or manager to ever cruise the “street”? No, he is no Buffet. But that does not mean what he is trying to accomplish is unjust or immoral.

When sitting at home tonight and have a minute to ponder life. Take the time to put on Cramer’s shoes. Think about it and be honest with yourself. His goal is to get the average person to start investing. He is an entertainer. The more antics he can provide that are off the wall or stir up “trouble”, the better his ratings will become. This in-turn translates into more capital in the market and spreading of his favorite “hobby”. Does he make money off of his program? I would argue yes. He self promotes TheStreet.com, himself, and many other things that affect his pocket book.

Now for the point behind posting on this thread. Like it or not there are millions of “shallow end of the popular culture pool” investors. They are trying to be entertained at the same time become educated in the art of investing. I would submit that great investors are not born, they are trained/educated. Cramer and CNBC provide a different way of gaining knowledge about certain aspects of the investing world. I know that as a new investor, I am excited about learning investing from more than one source and having more then one option available too me in hopes of making a tremendous amount of money for me and my family.

Here are a couple more thoughts.

“We learn wisdom from failure much more than from success. We often discover what will do, by finding out what will not do; and probably he who never made a mistake never made a discovery.” Samuel Smiles

“An idealist believes the short run doesn't count. A cynic believes the long run doesn't matter. A realist believes that what is done or left undone in the short run determines the long run.” Sydney J. Harris

“It is impossible for a man to learn what he thinks he already knows.” Epictetus

“Knowledge will forever govern ignorance; and a people who mean to be their own governors must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives.” James Madison
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.