Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 4
Here is my response to a bullish Seekking Alpha writer http://seekingalpha.com/article/1311801-sodastream-continues...

SodaStream (SODA) refill days are trending down, based on company reports. Thus, usage frequency is waning.

In 2012, CO2 cartridges were refilled every 102 days, vs. 82 days in 2011 and 69 days in 2010. That's a 33% decline in just two years.

If SODA enjoys a Gillette-type "razor blade" revenue model, refill days will remain steady or increase.

My calculations assume:

> Data from 2012 20-F
> 2-year useful life for soda makers.
> Soda maker sales lag refills by one year, to allow time for a soda maker to wind through the supply chain, to home carbonator from manufacturer.

Bottom line: Usage frequency as measured by CO2 refills is declining, which implies SODA sells a fad product. That, or consumers are using their soda makers but buying refills elsewhere.

Here's how I calculate refill days:

= 16.543 million CO2 refills (2012)/(2010 units sold: 1.934 million + 2011 units sold: 2.979 million units)
= 16.543/4.632 million
= 3.57x

Last, divide 365 days by 3.57x = 102 refill days in 2012.

hewitt
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.