Here's Casa de Snarky:

Wink 2 Hub
Cree LED Smart light bulbs
Wink Relay
SengLED Smart light bulbs
Innovelli Z-Wave outlet
GE Z-Wave outlets (indoor & outdoor)
Lowes Iris Outlet
Ecobee 3 Thermostat (replaced an original Nest that died)
2 Amazon Echo Dots

- The Wink Hub ties it all together. I upgraded it from the original Wink hub this year (Home Depot marked it down on Black Friday). I don't do a lot of IFTT (If This Then That) stuff, but I do a lot of scheduled stuff. The driveway light and the floodlights (and right now, Christmas lights) go on at sunrise and off at sunset. The living room goes on about half an hour before sunrise and off just after sunrise, then comes on again just before sunset and off at 10 PM. It helps the house look lived in when we're not home and it's just convenient to have everything turn on and off automatically.
- The Cree bulbs are a PITA to sync with a hub. I hate them.
- The SengLED bulbs pair very easily and they're cheap.
- The GE Z-Wave outlets pair easily
- Recently Wink started supporting the Iris outlets (the Iris hub sucks, their accessories are decent and Lowes always has them because nobody buys them) and this paired easily
- When the Nest died, I opted for the ecobee because of the remote sensors. Nest was always switching to auto-away because we were downstairs and the thermostat is upstairs. Now our thermostat knows we're home and doesn't turn the AC up to 85 while we're watching TV.
- The Echo dots tie it all together. After adding the Wink skill, you just ask Alexa to turn on the bedroom or turn on the Christmas tree or whatever.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.