Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
An organic cotton tote needs to be used 20,000 times — or daily for 54 years — to offset its overall impact of production, according to a 2018 study by the Ministry of Environment and Food of Denmark.

I knew you'd get it == I wouldn't even try to fool you guys. ;-)
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 3
I think this may very well fall into the "informative but useless" category of information as it offers no information about cost avoidance or a comparison to the alternatives.
No. of Recommendations: 1
I think this may very well fall into the "informative but useless" category of information as it offers no information about cost avoidance or a comparison to the alternatives.

Well, NTC (not sure about NYState) has recently "outlawed" (but not criminalized) plastic grocery bags -- they're ok for fresh produce and but not other things -- So if you buy 8 bags of potato chips or 8 cans of tunafish or loaves of bread you can't have a bag. If you didn't bring your own bag you can buy one for (usually) $1.

I've been carrying a re-usable bag (at the urging of the Sierra Club) for at least 20 years and I'm wondering now how much energy is expended making those re-usuble bags and I'm feeling foolish
Something fishy about this. I'm not buying the stat.
I've been carrying a re-usable bag (at the urging of the Sierra Club) for at least 20 years and I'm wondering now how much energy is expended making those re-usuble bags and I'm feeling foolish

And how many single use plastic bags have you kept out of the waste stream during those 20 years?

—Peter
Yes, it seems to me the trade-off involves expending energy to reduce harmful plastic waste in landfills. Let's say you saved 10 plastic bags per week. I have no idea how much you shop. That's 10,000 bags not wasted.