Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 2
Here's my take on this.

You're not renting out the rooms to make a profit, you're doing it to help out a family. So you don't have a profit motive. That affects your income and deductions.

I would report the income as other income on your tax return. You're already deducting your mortgage interest and property taxes, so there's no change there.

But you do need to calculate up an allocation of those expenses to the rent you receive. Using square footage or room counts might be a reasonable allocation method.

Once you do that, apply the allocation percentage to your interest and taxes, and subtract that off of your rental income. If there is anything left, you can also allocate utilities, repairs, and other expenses. Deduct those as miscellaneous itemized deductions, subject to the 2% of AGI threshold. But only take enough of those to get your net down to zero.

You may or may not get a benefit from those deductions, depending on how large they are and what other misc deductions you have.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.