No. of Recommendations: 5
Here's reality: prior to the advent of Social Security, nearly half the country lived on farms. With grandma and grandpa in the attic and the kiddies helping out with the harvest. That is no longer true, and unless people want to go back to living with ma and pa, it isn't going to be again, so we have Social Security to provide those elders some small income stream when corporate America decides it no longer has use for them.

That's not the way my farm family worked.

When my grandparents retired from the farm, they passed it on to the eldest son and they bought a house in town. Although my uncle worked the farm, the farm income was shared with my grandparents and father and two other siblings.

When my uncle retired from the farm, he passed it on to his son and he and my aunt bought a house in town. Again, everyone shared in the farm profits.

My cousin is now in the process of retiring, but we've been off the farm all my life and I no longer am privy to how it is operated. When my grandfather died, each of the kids got a portion of the land (my uncle getting the biggest share, of course). A few years ago, after my father died, my mom sold the remaining parcel of land we owned.

From my perspective, farming has always been a very lucrative business. But I was never involved in the day-to-day operations, and only heard about business decisions second-hand.

But nobody lived in the attic. :)

Most of the helping out with the harvest each fall used to be kids from the local college. Not so much in the last few decades. Productivity increases. :)
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.