Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Here's the question, should I open a Roth IRA and put about $200 a month into an S&P 500 index or should I try to pay off the interest on my sudent loans (i.e. so I don't fall deeper into the hole)

If it were just a choice of paying interest at 7.5% or putting money in the market, I'd say pay off the loans. Call me conservative, but a 7.5% guaranteed after-tax return sounds pretty good to me.

But there are several other factors to consider here.

(1) You can get a tax break for paying interest on student debt. (Basically, you can deduct the interest payments from your income, even if you don't itemize.) This break is phased out for incomes over $40,000, so you won't get it later. This means it is more attractive to make interest payments now.

(2) On the other hand, you won't be eligible for the Roth IRA later on, either.

Tough call. The tax break is for payment of up to $2000 in interest for this year and $2500 for subsequent years, so I'd pay that much in loan interest first. (Make sure to specify that the money is going toward interest, and make sure that your loan is a qualified student loan.) If anything is left, you might put it in a Roth.

-- Edmund Ross
Print the post  

Announcements

Paying For School Guide
Trying to Tackle Tuition? The Motley Fool's Guide to Paying for School will help you fight those rising education costs.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.