Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 94
It was a nasty day in early April with high winds and cool temperatures. When I don't get out on the road at lest 3-4 days a week on my bike for a couple of hours, I start feeling like a slacker and exercise deficient and I hadn't been out much that week due to high winds. I debated whether to go at all and whether to take the road bike or the mountain bike since I planned to ride down the drive that is perilously rutted with loose dirt and gravel and unfit for skinny tires.

In the end I decided to go due to guilt about an unproductive Thursday and Friday exercise-wise and took the road bike since most of the miles would be on paved roads. It was OK until I was finishing up and was coming back up the driveway. In a nanosecond the bike flipped in a rut and slammed me into the rock hard driveway before I could get my feet out of the clips. I knew it was bad--took me a few minutes to even sit up. I managed to walk the last half mile of the driveway, but by the time I got to the house the pain was unendurable.

We went to the emergency room and indeed there was a fracture of the neck of the femur. It required emergency surgery where they put three screws into the bone across the neck realigning the fracture. Managed to escape the hospital in just 36 hours but was pretty much immobile for around 10 days.

Went back to work on an abbreviated schedule about 11 days after the surgery and have been increasing it over four weeks. Also had to take back the cooking and cleaning from the SO as meals were microwaved Marie Callender and tending towards too much pasta and too little nutrition. The pet hair and dirt was getting ankle deep.

Unfortunately, everything takes about 4X longer to do and requires exponentially more energy to get done than if you are not dragging around a useless leg and annoying crutches. Consequently there has been little time or energy to devote to the internet and investing. My computer gathers dust and my portfolios are on autopilot.

I will be back --supposedly will be able to put some weight on the break in another week or so. Getting around without crutches will make life infinitely easier and maybe leave some time and energy to get back to things other than keeping up with the housework and the practice.

For all of you who wished me well, your thoughts are greatly appreciated. And many thanks to everyone who kept the conversations going here.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.