Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Here's what I found out.

I don't know how many retirement plans have this option, but if yours does have a "Self Directed Brokerage Account" within the 403b, here's what I was told you have to do.

Step 1: Call TIAA-Cref Retirement 800 number and then talk to brokerage. Request a form to be mailed to set up self-directed brokerage account (and mail back).

Step 2: After they get the form processed, transfer money into brokerage account.

Step 3: Call retirement broker and purchase stuff.

Advice: figure out what you are looking for in advance. It is clear the selection of CDs and bonds is weak compared to Vanguard. I'm not interested in individual stocks, so I don't know.
Print the post  


What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.