Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 7
It seems some cities in S. California have determined that anyone working at a grocery chain or pharmacy with over 300 employees are "HEROS", while, I guess, those employees doing the same work at a grocery store with 295 employees are unheroic, cowards and yellow-bellies.

But "Heros" are so special they're mandated to get an increase in pay of $4/hr. How noble! What sacrifice! I mean...monuments should be erected in these hero's honor!

In response, grocery chain Kroger said it closed down two California stores Saturday after the Long Beach City Council approved a COVID-19-related “hero pay” ordinance.

Last month, Kroger also announced it would close down three stores—two Ralphs and one Food 4 Less—in nearby Los Angeles, which passed its own $5-per-hour “hero pay” boost to workers amid the pandemic. “Hero pay” mandates have also been passed in several other Southern California cities, including Coachella, Montebello, and Irvine.

What this boils down to is discrimination towards larger employers. To maintain their profit level for their shareholders, Kroger would have to raise prices on food items, providing their smaller competitors not subject to the 'Hero Pay' bonuses, an artificial price advantage. In effect, the local government is putting their thumb on the scale for the benefit of smaller employers. In the end, locals will simply end up paying more for groceries and several thousand workers will go on the unemployment rolls. Did the local knot-head political leaders think of this. Nope! Instead....and I'm not making this up....last week two Los Angeles City Council members introduced a motion to investigate Kroger’s decision to close several of its stores in the city. Investigate them??? For what???? The decision to close a store??? So, do these city council members, who have probably never held a real job, think they can get a court to demand they open their stores back up??? This city council must have members with the intellect of their neighbor, Mad Maxine Waters and perhaps a familial relationship to Rep. Hank Johnson (D-Ga.), who asked Adm Robert Willard, head of the U.S. Pacific fleet, and I'm not making this up either,

"My fear is that the whole island will become so overly populated that it will tip over and capsize,"

Collectively, these are some kind of great analytical minds. Regular intellectual giants. This kind of intellectual capacity, if it had been invited in years past onto the PBS show Firing Line, would have ground William F. Buckley Jr into intellectual dust!

BruceM
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.