Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
He's been doing my taxes for about 20 yrs and handles a number of small businesses as well as individuals such as myself....

Let's find out if he's been doing them right first.

IRS isn't nuts about SWAGs, so we really need to nail down what contributions you made. So dig out those 25 years worth of returns you've saved. If you happen to have saved the source information documents, such as W-2's and 1099's that will help a lot since the custodian sends a Form 5498 for any year in which you make a contribution.

Your account statements may also be helpful.

Assuming we can come up with a figure for after-tax contributions, it will go on line 17 of your 2006 Form 8606, where you calculate the taxable portion of the conversion.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.