Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Hewitt,

I don't think True Religion is a retailer, but an apparel maker. They make wildly over-priced jeans, which are sold in specialty shops and department stores. I believe they were one of the main drivers behind Urban Outfitters' huge growth story a while back. Here is their Yahoo profile:

True Religion Apparel, Inc., through its wholly owned subsidiary, Guru Denim, Inc., engages in the design, development, manufacture, marketing, distribution, and sale of denim jeans and other apparel for men, women, and children. Its products include denim jeans, corduroy jeans and jackets, velvet jeans, fleece jeans and hooded sweatshirts, skirts, shorts, shirts, sweaters, and sportswear. The company markets and distributes its products under the True Religion Brand Jeans brand name primarily through sales agents and distributors to department stores, specialty retailers, and boutiques in North and South America, Asia, Europe, and Australia. The company was founded in 2002 and is headquartered in Vernon, California.

Check out this link to get an idea of what they sell and at what prices. Look at the $216 denim skirt - how much material cost can there be in that? http://tinyurl.com/yhznct It almost makes me want to learn how to use that sewing machine in the basement.

Seriously though, I took a cursory glance at them about two years ago, but worried that they might be a fad rather than a lasting brand. Of course, I felt the same way about Uggs boots (DECK) at $17/share. That's now at $110, so fashion is not my strong suit (to say the least).

Sorry I can't add much more, but I'd be curious to see what others might say.

Regards,

Paul
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.