Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Hewitt,

I wasn't aware of advFN until Sand105 pointed it out (thanks Sand!). I may write a little "scraper" to grab data off advFN pages. A cursory look seemed to provide all the basic income, cash, and balance data.

But, as you say, I fully still expect to have to dig through the financials to find other details. One area I consistently fudge is in estimating the maintenance portion of cap-ex. Do you have any advice on how to determine this? I haven't read your book in a while - I guess I should re-read soon. If the answer is "read the dang book", I understand.

And yes, while it would be nice to be able to screen FIRST for earnings power, I only apply all this digging to companies that look interesting in other ways. Lots of them end up being MF newsletter recs, go figure.

-joe
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.