Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
Hewitt,

Thanks for sharing your results with us. Your words, deeds, and outlook on life are inspiring.

Ted says he would be "100 times better off" if he had taken smaller positions in a larger number of companies, and then never sold. Ted has lots more investing experience than I do, and he may be right and I may be wrong.

This dialogue appears to be a constant theme on the Hidden Gems discussion boards as well. My take is that your strategy and style depend on your goals, circumstances at the time, and comfort level. Buffet and Lynch have different strategies and styles, both are successful. Or perhaps there's an investing gene that dictates what we do? :)

I also hope to do a better job of managing my files in 2006. I read hundreds of columns on which stocks to buy, how to read a financial statement, etc., but I hardly read anything on how to manage all the paper this business generates.

Amen. I've tried a number of approaches for managing both paper and computer files, with marginal success so far. For paper files, the answer for me has always turned out to be the 'pile' system coupled with the 'throw out stuff not used in 90 days' system.

Since I am more apt to workout if I keep track of my times and distances, I built a spreadsheet

For some of us -- well me -- who need to also shed a few pounds, keeping track of calories consumed and calories expended (exercise) seems to provide similar motivation. Lately I've tried using something akin to the Weight Watchers points sytem, which tracks both inputs and outputs. It's simple and easy to use, so my New Year's resolution is to continue use it!

Specifically, I will swim 100 miles, bike 2,000 miles, and run 500 miles in 2006. In 2005, I swam 36 miles, biked 674 miles, and ran 232 miles.

Now that's a staircase!

-Ears

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.