Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 4
Hey C,

I haven't notice anyone as of yet reply to this question, so I'll give it a shot.

32 - we'd like to retire in 13-18 years tops.

We are currently investing slightly over 50% of our income. We live on my income and invest DH's. I currently earn just slightly less than him, but within the next few months, his income is increasing to 2/3 of our household income - at which time we will continue to live on mine and invest his

According to a paper of intercst's that I have (thanks again, intercst for sending it to me a few years ago) he says that if you save 40% of your salary and that you limit your spending increases to inflation that you can retire in 12 years if you average a 10% return.

Now, you are saving over 50% of your income and within a few months you will be saving more than that. I have no idea of how much you currently have saved, but I think that you will be able to retire in much less than 13 years if you maintain this rate of saving and get an average return.

Have you checked out intercst's website at www.retireearlyhomepage.com? If not, do so and scrounge around there for awhile. He has a lot of great information on his site.

Now, I'm not sure how long you've been reading this board, but if you are fairly new here you've probably seen some of the recent attack on intercst. This attack is not to be believed, in my humble blue collar opinion. I don't normally take up for people who are more than capable of taking up for themselves, but in the few minutes that I've met Intercst in person and from the hundreds if not thousands of posts that I've read of his, he is a great person who would not intentionally mislead anyone with false information.

Could his or anyone information here be wrong and/or contain errors in it? Sure. The market may tank tomorrow and all the dollars that you and I have invested in it may mysteriously dissolve in a black hole.

However, I'm sorry to rant on in this post, I'm getting tired of one poster in particular always ranting against intercst. It's been suggested that this poster get evaluated by a mental health worker and I wish he would look into doing this.

I have learned a lot from this board and I have also read a lot of trash here. Some of it may have come from me, but I've always meant to spread good will and not trash.

Hey C, stick around and keep us posted on your trek towards FIREHOOD. If not here, I'll see you on the other boards that I frequent.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.