Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 2
Hey David,

Thanks again for your thoughtful insight. I'm going to treat this post as a thinking aloud opportunity. Here's my portfolio:

How I Feel about the company

NFLX 12.83% Great
AIB 10.77% Good
AAPL 9.47% Great
OMTR 8.87% Good + Risky, but willing to take the risk
BWLD 8.80% Great
WFMI 8.19% Hmmmm, quite yucky now, but Good long term
HANS 7.97% Not so good
UA 7.91% Very Good
CMG.B 6.70% Great
EXEL 5.74% Good + Risky
MVL 5.03% Great

Out of these stocks, my biggest loss, percentage-wise and real money-wise, is HANS, at a 34% loss (cost average of 33.22%). I wonder if that is why it is the only stock in my portfolio about which I don't feel very confident. I don't know if the "fad" argument is getting under my skin, or because I keep on leveraging down and the price keeps doing the same, or whether I feel a bit of the one trick pony argument, since it is not yet the #1 player in the energy drink market. It's the only company in my portfolio, I guess, about which I feel that what is being sold is somewhat ordinary. Which, of course, as Peter Lynch tells us, that is what we want, a boring company that makes lots of boring money, but, hmmmm. Right now I'm tempted to buy more but mostly to lower the average cost down even further. To do that, though, I would need to sell one of the others, and the only one I would do that with is WFMI, which took such a tumble today I don't think it's worth selling. But, geez, can HANS go even lower, still? Of course it can. But the earnings would have to be atrocious. Though, that's what I said with WFMI and look what happened. In fact, maybe that's where the queasy feeling is coming from... that WFMI and HANS feel like they're facing similar predicaments: discretionary spending is in effect and luxury food and energy drinks are not, in fact, recession proof. Maybe if the price of HANS goes down during the day tomorrow I'll buy more. Otherwise I'll just be happy to hopefully regain some of my serious losses.

Wow. What a ramble. Humble apologies. But I hope the price does go down some tomorrow so you can get in even lower.

Cheers,

S + M
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.