Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 4
Hey, Denny,

It's interesting also that the human brain has a small portion hard-wired for certain things that have been useful since the early humans and still are today.

One is facial recognition; there is a small portion of the brain that performs only facial recognition and when someone has an injury or deficiency in that area, they are often totally unable to recognize anyone, and some cannot see faces at all, but only a "round blur" where a face should be. It seems that those who could once recognize faces and now can not (injury) have a very hard time recovering and many never do, which means other parts of the brain evidently have a hard time taking over this function.

Another is movement of any kind. A portion of the brain is always on "standby" to catch and hopefully capture, any form of movement in the visual field. That's why, when you're sitting in the warm sun on a beach reading a good book and a bird swoops down close enough to be captured in your visual field, that you might be seriously startled, as the brain can signal an adrenaline release simultaneously along with the visual "alert" for movement.

I think all of this makes it even more difficult for engineers to interpret visual "cues" from a video feed, and more amazing when they do. It seems to me that one might spend a good portion of one's lifetime trying to define "CAT" visually, and even then would be bound to fail on occasion.

Talk about living in interesting times and such things as "S curves"! I think the rate of change (cultural, physical, electronic, transport, finance, leisure, entertainment, work, you name it) is just now ready to enter the truly exponential phase. I'm almost glad I won't have to try to cope with more change than that which will hit us in the next 20 years or so (if I'm lucky, at that.) The one thing I will miss that I thought would be here by now, if personal flying transportation. It's hard for me to believe that 3,000 lb machines moving at 70 mph are still the best way to travel, while 12" away from similar machines going in the opposite direction on the other side of the dotted line.

Back to the brain, I have often wondered if that part of my brain built for facial recognition is weak, as I often do not recognize people, sometimes those that I have encountered fairly often. Or, it could be because I'm 68 and don't remember what I had for dinner last night. Yeah, that's probably the case.

Dan
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.