Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 5
Hey Fools,

You're right. Sloppy research. I could have consulted other sources, had I had more time. The column was written quite last minute due to the ATHM arrangement, but that's not an excuse. Rather than make the 6pm Editorial deadline, it's always better to turn the column in late and doublecheck things.

I purposely kept my statement very brief, saying: "In the bluster of today's decline, some good news for companies and investors in the online world crossed the wires: the U.S. House approved a 5-year Internet tax moratorium (bravo for Amazon, and so many others)", because I didn't have more information at the time.

As I implied, though, I do believe that the moratorium is good news for online retailers. Why? Because it puts the whole sales tax issue well into the background (as the press release rimp linked to states, too).

As it stands now, this 5 year moratorium in essence lets the existing law stand -- the law that U.S. states can not tax online retailers unless they have a physical presence in that state. After yesterday, it is thought that this law will not be addressed again for a long while to come, meaning "bravo for Amazon and so many others."

As always, it's great to have community eyes scrutinizing every sentence for accuracy! That's Foolish.

Thank you and Fool on!

Jeff
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.