Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Hey, I made Tuesday's RM column! Yahoo! (pun intended... heh)

First... Thanks, Al, for clearing up a few things about how a person could perceive a company as one with a universal status (i.e., Microsoft as a Rule Breaker, Tweener, and Rule Maker). You put it much simpler than I, with my awkward, abstract attempts.

Second... ooh! A few questions:

Why would one want to further refine and subdivide tweeners?

As you stated, it's very difficult (sometimes) to convey tone in writing. Anyway, if you could "hear" me as I was writing those posts, you would have hinted at a bit of sarcasm (e.g., why stop at 5 definitions?). Obviously, one has to draw the line somewhere when it comes to categorizations. I was simply taking a cheap shot at categories, in general. One could view a company as a Tweener, whilst another could view it more as a Rule Breaker type (e.g., Is its competition really that legit?). Categorizing things can be very subjective -- and sometimes even harmful.

Then again, there is a variety of good reasons for doing so.

Why try to predict which tweener will become a rulemaker?

Well, to create a bit of wealth. Good enough reason for me.

Also, albeit it a must-read, what troubled (irked, teased) me in David & Tom's "RB, RM" book:

100 pages for RB;
150 pages for RM;
yet less than 20 for Tweeners?

Obviously there's a lot of potential for an expansion of that "mysterious" middle section.

Since one can't own every stock out there, why not just focus on relatively safe bets with rulemakers and high risk/high reward with breakers?

What, no middle ground? Why not throw in some medium risk/ medium reward, late-stage Tweeners (with the best potential of becoming crowned) into the ol' port? Imagine holding some of today's Rule Makers -- yet having purchased them earlier in their (cheaper, split-adjusted-wise) Tweener life. True, not as early as a Rule Breaker, but early enough (and "safe" enough) to even better your returns than those of a traditional RM, whilst reducing the higher risk of a RB.

And no, I wouldn't own every Tweener out there. Many aren't the best investments to make.

So far if I've labled a company as a tweener, I'm looking elsewhere to invest.

And possibly missing out on a future king?? Not all Tweeners are duds, my Foolish Friend. And that's what I'd like to see us try to accomplish here: develop and refine some sort of criteria in order to separate the Future Kings from the Duds.

And now, if you have your very own copy of "RB, RM" on hand, please turn to page 151, "Five Signs That Your Tweener Is Beginning to Make Its Own Rules"....

[And for some unfortunate reason you don't have your copy handy (e.g., your dog ate it), I'm sure someone will share with you.]

; )
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.