Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Mapletree,

I see on an earlier thread that you've started reading the Patrick O'Brien series. Have you continued on? I've read them so often that I envy your reading them for the first time. If you are reading them, whatever you do stay away from "The Hundred Days" until absolutely necessary.

And remember, as Jack says, "You cannot have both your cake and a stitch in time."

Thuvia
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
I see on an earlier thread that you've started reading the Patrick O'Brien series. Have you continued on? I've read them so often that I envy your reading them for the first time. If you are reading them, whatever you do stay away from "The Hundred Days" until absolutely necessary.

I haven't picked up the next one, although I've had my eye out....I have two very heavy biographies to get through in the next month. Usually I would check it out anyway, but that's how I accumulate 20 dollars in library fees! I did very much enjoy it though, and he's on my 'list'.

-mapletree
No. of Recommendations: 1
Believe me, they only get better and better. Post Captain and H.M.S. Surprise are two the best.

Thuvia
And remember, as Jack says, "You cannot have both your cake and a stitch in time."

Don't you mean, "We must make hay while the stone is rolling"? Or "A stitch in time gathers no moss"? Or "You cannot have a stitch in time and eat it, too"?

There is not a moment to be lost!

;-)
Post Captain and H.M.S. Surprise are the two best.

Thuvia is absolutely 100% right on the money with that.
My favorite is when Jack is searching for a word and Stephen purposely supplies him with wrong ones (to Jack's frustration), such as (this is from memory):

Jack: It's plain as .....

Stephen: The ace of spades? A salisbury sphere? A handspike?

The "Far Side of the World" is filled with this.

Tell me jh21045, why is the last watch called the dog watch?

Thuvia

Tell me jh21045, why is the last watch called the dog watch?

Because it is cur tailed, of course.