No. of Recommendations: 0
Hey Paul -

Looks like Treasury stopped allowing H/HH conversions:

As of September 1, 2004, investors are no longer able to reinvest HH/H bonds or exchange EE/E bonds for HH bonds.

H bonds were last issued in 1979.

One tax-saving possibility for the EEs is to take the proceeds and create a 529 college savings plan. Here are some guidelines:

The usual problem is that the 529 has to be for the bondowner or a dependent. Grandchildren usually don't count. But if the situation fits the original post, it might be worth considering.

Print the post  


What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.