Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0

Hey roofman6,

You've really hit on the core idea of what I'd like to do with the SimFool add-on, which is to let players simulate real world trading on top of the CAPS system. The only constraints would be to bring players actions closer to real world impacts (e.g., transaction fees) or allow us to fast-track the implementation (leaving out shorting since the relevant real world info, availability and cost to borrow, are expensive and more involved data feeds). Otherwise the mapping between these SimFool players and the traditional CAPS system would be done behind the scenes(though displayed for transparency, of course), since that comparison is interesting but should have no impact on how people design their investing strategy.

i definitely don't want to lose any of the history for current CAPS players, but since the incentives were designed around the CAPS scoring system rather than an explicitly investing goal, and contain important elements that cannot be reproduced (e.g., cost to borrow and availability of shorts), the results would need to be viewed differently. I can see placing some form of SimFool evaluator on top of the traditional CAPS players, but would want players to have the opportunity to start fresh with using different types of strategies if interested that were designed to specifically go after the SimFool objectives (the strongest being to make money over the long term!)

so, just to reiterate, my SimFool idea is simply to act as an add-on to the much vaster CAPS system itself, for people who are interested in trying their hand on portfolio management along with stock picking itself, and if I can get it off the ground would probably start in the limited but more common realm of long only investing.

More comments please - I'm starting to feeling some encouragement here :). 

Foolishly,

Xander (TMFCrocoStimpy) 

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.