Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Hey Steve, I was just wondering about you this week.

My own cooking adventures have turned toward baking. something I was never interested in apart from the baguette.

For Valentine's day I created a cherry, chocolate walnut pie. It was loosely based on this recipe. https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/11/cranberry-walnut...

I covered 6 oz. of dried montmorency cherries with rum over night before I substituted them for the fresh cranberries. I drained off the rum first.

I chopped six oz. of Trader Joe's 72% Pound Plus chocolate (red package) and stirred it into the cherry/walnut mix and added 1/2 t. of ground allspice. Other than that followed the recipe.

The result was very good but just a bit bitter.

I needed a desert for a pot luck that Sunday so decided to tweak. This time I soaked the cherries in Amaretto, used TJ's dark chocolate (darker brown package) and 1/2 t of cinnamon instead of allspice.

The bitterness was gone, church folks raved, but it didn't pop quite like I wanted.

Pi day was my third try. I kept everything the same but added 1/4 t of sea salt to the wet ingredients.

That was the winner! Served it to the same church group. They could not believe the difference.

DW says this pie has replaced lava cakes as her all time favorite desert.

It does need to be served with just enough high quality vanilla ice cream to cut the richness.

I do miss the days of recipe banter. Welcome back!

GeeB
Closing with the unofficial Fool "1902" complimentary close since 1902
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.