No. of Recommendations: 9
Hey VMA
LXP hasn't released the 10K as yet, but looking through 3Q18, CF's were not doing well.

For 3Q18, using rolling 4Q periods, the Dividend-to-Net CFFO (CFFO minus preferred div minus dist to Non-Controlling Interests) had risen to 77%, which is not bad for a Net Lease REIT, but it had been progressing upward from the mid 60% range over the past 4 quarters. What is the most worrisome is the interest expense as a % of CFFO plus Interest, which had jumped up to 27%. This is unsustainably high. In my experience, any ratio between 25% and 30% that is not on its way down as the debt-financed investments become more profitable, will lead to a dividend cut. LXP's interest expense ratios were upwards of 30% over past 8Q, but were headed down to low 20% range, which is good, but then popped back up over the past two 4Q periods. Not good.

Revenue/share and CFFO/share were flat and had declined by a penny, respectively, also not good. The most recent 8k summary shows nominal revenues had dropped to ($MM) $87.251, down from $99.958 for 3Q18. I haven't seen the number of outstanding basic shares for the 4Q18, but this much drop in Revenue is definitely not good.

2 years ago when I bought shares, it sounded as though management had put itself on good footing with its insertion into office properties in an expanding and promising economic growth cycle and the 7.6% current yield seemed like a good bet. Fortunately, I followed my rule of limiting such high yield to <1% of portfolio income......

And while on the topic of Net Lease REITs, although I hold no shares, I'd be cautious of WPC. Thru 4Q18, per share data are flat and interest expense ratio as defined above, jumped up to 25.9% from 24.3% and payout ratio has hit 90% after dropping to the low 80% range a couple of years ago, it has been steadily climbing.

BruceM
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.