Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
HI Abe....

This is where caste systems are not exclusive to just one part of the world. They exist all over, even in America. It's just not official or obvious.

But I'm not sure what the fix is. I used to be pro term-limit, but then I came to the conclusion that this not only overrides the people's vote, but would leave UNelected staffers to be in charge of Capitol Hill...that might be worse, or at best not an improvement. Also, the seniority thing gives smaller states an edge they would otherwise not normally have and I think there's some merit in that.

I dunno what the solution is. To me, it's a cultural thing. If more citizens were aware of their government, and active in things like voting, perhaps they'd realize the ripoffs being served up to them by members of both parties. Or, CIVICS needs to be a major part of high school/college curriculum. We're all worried about obese kids so we got em running daily, giving them condoms so they can enjoy getting laid. That's all fine....but most of them have no idea how gov't works, or why it affects them. I'd pilot test a mandatory civics test as part of getting a driver's license.

A few things I'd like to try though........

*No more dual residency. Lawmakers must live and work FULL time in their districts/states. No more Wash DC bubble with the lobbyists and hookers. They should have to face their citizens daily on the way to work or coffee shop.

*Money can NOT be raised outside one's state. This may prevent Wall Street or multinational money from having more influence over a Senator than citizens in his own state. Sure, the flaw is empowering the rich people within the state, but at least the money is easier to track and closer to home.

*Disclosure on TV, vis a vis donations. For instance, if a Senator is on the air, discussing oil, there should be a permanent 'ticker tape' on the screen showing the money he's taken from oil interests. Doesn't mean he's corrupt, but people should know he's speaking about an industry he directly depends on for money.

It'll never be perfect. But this system can be reformed.

"Not for Sale at Any Price" Ross Perot wrote a fine book on reforming government.

Jedi
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.