Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 2
Hi all! I live in NJ and recently my well went bad and I had to have another one dug. Total cost was about $5,150 out of pocket. I have an insurance claim in, but don't don't know how that will pan out.

Is this expense tax deductible? I was given, along with the bill, a notice to sign Form ST-8, Certificate of Exempt Capital Improvement. I am not sure what this means.

Thank you so much for your help!

ST-8 is a sales tax exemption form.

At the federal level, there are only two ways that I can see any deductiion. One, as a casualty loss, but the threshold for that is quite high ($100 plus 10% of AGI), and the other, if part of your home was used for business purposes and you could justify claiming the replacement well was a repair and not a capital improvement.

Since NJ generally limits deductions to medical expenses, alimony, and real estate taxes, there is no relief on your state taxes.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.