Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Hi all,

I was hoping to find out how necessary it is to let my car warm up in the cold weather (as we've been having in the Northeast lately). Luckily, even if its really cold, I can start my car and drive away. Is this bad for my car? If so, how do I know when my car is ready to drive?

thanks!
marc

Go here:

http://cartalk.cars.com/Info/WinterDriving

Their best tip: Move to Hawaii!

With modern cars (say less than 25 years old); most engine wear occurs during the 1-3 seconds before oil reaches your engine. This courtesy of brother who is a Toyota mechanic. I personally use AMSOIL synthetic (@ 6 mo or 6000 mi changes); the last car I had lasted to 144,000 miles without any leaks (the electrical system on the other hand had some serious gremlins at work).

My best tip: get a place with a garage! The extra money we spent on a townhouse with a garage is worth every penny for a warm car and not having to scrape.
Print the post  

Announcements

Beware Flood-Damaged Cars
Know what you are getting, don't get stuck with a Katrina victim. Check these links before you buy.
Disclaimer - Please Read
A message about professional advice.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.