Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 4
Hi all,

My husband and I just completed a yard sale, and want to donate the unsold items to charity. We will keep our receipts, and no donation will be more than $250. My understanding is that we can take up to a $500 deduction for this on our tax return. Question -- is that $500 per person, or $500 total?

Thanks for any help, and apologies if this has been asked before.

Home Fool

The $500 is not a limit on what you deduct. You can deduct much more than that - the fair market value, up to 50% of your AGI, or 30% for capital gain property.

But if you give over $500 (in total) in noncash items, you have to include Form 8283 with your return. And in my experience, this will NOT usually generate an audit, as long as you don't go overboard with things. I'm always amused by people whose favorite charity is Goodwill, and all they donate is used household items.

More particulars are in IRS Pub. 526

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.