No. of Recommendations: 1
Hi,

As a follow up, I can report we went to Vietnam for 2 weeks and had a wonderful time.

We used Tony at Ann's Tourist in Vietnam (www.anntours.com) for independent travel, with a tour guide set up occasionally on site. Tony worked with us very well, as it turns out he spent his youth in the U.S. before repatriating to Vietnam later. Ann's Tourist proved to be much less expensive than using a US travel agent, and we felt we got equal or even better quality for our money. We stayed in moderate to expensive priced accommodations and for the most part took plane flights between locations.

We went to Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon), Hoi An, Hanoi and Halong Bay. We also took a side trip to Cambodia to see Angkor Wat, which was also set up by Ann's Tourist.

I'd highly recommend going to Vietnam. It is a great place, there is much to see, prices are very cheap from US standards and the people are overall very hospitable and friendly. The food is great and there is much to see and do, even for children if you plan it right.

I'd also suggest that if you want to see Angkor Wat, go soon. The Cambodians have figured out that people want to see it, but they have not yet figured out how to take care of it. It may not be in the same state later, there is not enough control over people being able to run uncontrolled over the ruins, nor IMHO is there a well-coordinated effort at restoration.

I'd be happy to provide anyone more information, just post a reply to me.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.