Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi Bears. Could you explain to me why you believe that the problems with the EU economies will dwarf those of the U.S. I find this extremely hard to believe.

This will probably be true in certain EU nations that are hit the hardest by an economic slowdown at a time when their central bank refuses to lower interest rates to the level that we have them at here in the U.S.

However, I strongly believe that the recent weakness in the Euro was way over done and that citizens of EU countries may actually be better off than U.S. citizens in the long run as the will experience a lower rate of inflation that the United States will.

The current economic meltdown may cause some deflation at first, but I suspect that the student of the Great Depression who runs the Federal Reserve and the Wall Street veteran who runs the Treasury will attempt to flood the world with U.S. dollars to prevent deflation. Bernanke has spoken on this subject numerous times in the past, including his famous "drop money from helicopters" speech on the deflation problems that Japan has experienced.

Of course, this assumes that the European Union doesn't completely crumble as the weakest economies in it bail.

Deej
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.