Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 4
Hi Bill,

I sold a majority of my GG positions, as I didn't think I could capably track much more than a handful of companies. Here are the ones I still hold:

BLX (I don't feel I need to follow it that closely),
SCPZF (their website is good, and I subscribe to their email alerts),
POT (mostly sit and forget, though I keep an eye on the dynamics of the fertilizer markets, as I like the long-term global demand prospects for fertilizer),
YONG and CGA (review their earnings reports and the boards here),
ARCO (review their earnings reports),
PDS (don't follow that closely--when the market finally turns for North American drillers, I will probably sell),
UL (I don't think I need to follow that closely as long as they maintain a leading position for consumer staples in many emerging markets), and
PCLN (follow via another Fool service).

Beyond the MF boards, I also subscribe to email alerts from Seeking Alpha for these holdings. Seeking Alpha may be uneven in the quality of its material (as are the articles posted at fool.com), though I find enough good analysis to make it worth following.

I also added to my positions in SQM (Chilean producer of lithium, iodine, fertilizer compounds, etc.) and Canadian National Railway (CNI), which are recommendations of another Fool Service. I recently opened a position in Baidu, as well, as I think it's now cheap (I believe it is a Rule Breaker pick, though I don't subscribe to that service). I have added the AFK ETF as well, though I am not thrilled with its composition.

Many of the big US-based multinationals are now truly global in their markets (getting a majority of their revenue and growth from outside the US), so you can get a fair amount of international exposure that way, as well; and I think you can often make bigger bets on those blue chips (albeit with fewer multi-baggers). Finally, I am invested in the Fool's Epic Voyage fund, and I follow Bill's and Tim's commentary there (available on the foolfunds.com website). They hold many former GG picks in their portfolio.

And I can follow a few of them via Morningstar and Valueline, which I can access via local library. Of the two, I prefer Valueline. That's about as well as I have been able to manage.

-Bob
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.