Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Hi, Bob,

You might find some useful info here. (You may have to register):
http://ninemsn.com.au/homepage.asp

You will find the company is high in debt and has not had a profit for years. It has options on a few speculative ventures. It is of course a fairly speculative company. Its ROE has been known to vary from +1900% to -9000% from one year to the next.

I don't know any more than that about Newlands. I also don't know anything about moneyguru's earnings. Especially don't know how much revenue is expected to be paid back to NRL from its ownership of moneyguru, if the deal goes ahead.

Beware!
Reporting standards for mining companies are less stringent than for industrial stocks. In the past year, number of West Australian mining companies have attempted to latch on to the technology boom. It may be that those looser reporting standards make it easier. I thought the idea had stalled since the ASX cracked down late last year, and with the collapse of the dotcom bubble. (I think they may have even delisted a few companies).

In addition to that risk, you'd also be running additional risks like international currency speculation, and tax regimes in different countries. You would probably have to watch it very closely. Remember our market is open at night, your time. (Australia is about about nine hours ahead of French time). How would you propose to track it?

It seems extremely risky to me. Any money put into it would be pretty well in the category of 'Gambling Money'.

I don't want to rain on your parade, but I hope you have considered all these things already.

Good luck,

Chris

Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.