Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 11
Hi Brittlerock

Just coming back to your Magnite question, ok here goes.

Whilst I love the space and was happy to hold Magnite after making a good return and still see it as relatively lower valued than alternative Ad-tech plays with head room to grow and see them becoming the defacto leader of their side of the coin...

1) Their organic growth rate has fallen to the 20-30% range (whilst TTD is accelerating back to 40-50% growth range)

2) I don't see them as well positioned or equipped to deal with disruptions from Google, Apple etc as TTD

3) They are a recurring acquisition vehicle which is starting to feel like a substitute for organic growth and which also holds execution risk

4) There were other companies I wanted to add to that were growing much faster with stronger conviction (Fivrr, Upstart, Zoom info and Snowflake)

So no massive red flags but all in all given I don't have fresh capital to deploy, it had to go.

Hope that helps.

Cheers
Ant
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
Hi Ant,
Thanks for your writeup. I particularly like your look at Penetration vs. TAM. I was wondering how to calculated penetration for MELI. I think that the e-commerce vs. retail penetration would be straightforward, but how do you calculate Fintech penetration vs. TAM?

Thanks.

Best,

bulwnkl
Hi Bulwnkl

The take rate of ecommerce includes fintech payments revenues and so I included that side of MELI within the ecommerce related TAM but to get the TAM for the Mercadolibre online banking/wealth management solutions I estimated the TAM associated with consumer banking in South America (not a very scientific estimate).

Of all the numbers in the table that one is probably the most under-estimated - the TAM could be 2-3x the number I estimated which would put the penetration rate back to low single digits and make sense.

(TTD is possibly the most over-estimated but has the least significance - if you only took 1/10th of the TAM given then it is still only reaches a penetration rate of 1% giving a massive runway ahead).

BTW one additional purchase I made but did not note down at the end of last month was Zoom Info. I will be sure to update this in the next monthly review when I hope to add more colour with the results commentary.

Ant
No. of Recommendations: 3
Ant,
Curious to understand that you sold MGNI yet hold 8.5% TTD. Seems to me like they're sort of like two sides of the same coin. I would like to understand your thoughts behind the sale of MGNI. What is it that turned you off on this company? I recently watched this interview and feel even more convinced that this is a premier investment opportunity, Laura Martin of Needham w/ Magnite CEO Michael Barret: https://wsw.com/webcast/needham103/mgni/2238594
No. of Recommendations: 11
Hi Brittlerock

Just coming back to your Magnite question, ok here goes.

Whilst I love the space and was happy to hold Magnite after making a good return and still see it as relatively lower valued than alternative Ad-tech plays with head room to grow and see them becoming the defacto leader of their side of the coin...

1) Their organic growth rate has fallen to the 20-30% range (whilst TTD is accelerating back to 40-50% growth range)

2) I don't see them as well positioned or equipped to deal with disruptions from Google, Apple etc as TTD

3) They are a recurring acquisition vehicle which is starting to feel like a substitute for organic growth and which also holds execution risk

4) There were other companies I wanted to add to that were growing much faster with stronger conviction (Fivrr, Upstart, Zoom info and Snowflake)

So no massive red flags but all in all given I don't have fresh capital to deploy, it had to go.

Hope that helps.

Cheers
Ant
No. of Recommendations: 20
Whilst I love the space and was happy to hold Magnite (but)...

1) Their organic growth rate has fallen...

4) There were other companies I wanted to add to that were growing much faster with stronger conviction (Fivrr, Upstart, ZoomInfo and Snowflake)

Hope that helps. Cheers, Ant

Hi Ant, that is just exactly the kind of decision I have to make on a regular basis. You expressed it wonderfully. I agree completely (although I never had Magnite and am not currently interested in Fivrr). I did that ("it has to go") with a number of companies a couple of weeks ago.

Saul
Hi,

Thanks for the info and for sharing it.

Quick questions:
- When did you get EXPI for $13 - $14? (giving those amounts based on the return of 50% you mentioned you have gotten thus far).
- Why are you still holding it? It has lost 66% of its value since Feb.

Thanks!