Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 6
Hi chicknyell,

PD had a good suggestion about curbside shopping. FWIW, I've even taken some of the treasures I've found, but didn't need myself, & consigned them. For example, I made $6 from a pair of golden shoes that looked almost new. They were the wrong size for me, family or friends.

AFA dumpsters themselves, you can start by just cruisin' for what's leaning up against the side of the dumpsters or placed right on top. Some of the better places:

* College dorms at the end of the year or semester.
* Apartment complexes, as people move in & out. End/beginning of the month, especially in the warmer seasons may have more pickings.
* Your town's landfill/recycling center. A few things I've picked up would include an entire spool of galvanized wire (good for my horse fencing), a broken concrete birdbath that I turned into a plantstand for the living room, shutters & aluminum extension poles (from a tent) to use for an extra sun tarp over our tent in Portugal. Just missed out on a nice bicycle that only needed the chain fixed. I swung the car around to go get it & someone beat me to it :)
* Curbside on weekends (not necessariyly on garbage days). Check your newspaper for local yard sales. Hit those areas the night or morning after the sale.
* Storage unit facilities. Some of these also auction off the contents of units which have unpaid monthly fees.

As you get more brave, consider getting an "Unger" Nifty Nabber, or something similar. It's a long tool with a grabber on the end, so you can reach farther or don't have to actually get inside a dumpster to reach something. They're around $20+/- & come in several lengths. Here's what it looks like:
http://www.shoplet.com/office/db/gCUNG5293.html (Prices look good too, don't know how much their s/h is). There was a thread on these around a year+ ago too, if you search.

Good luck with your adventures in urban recycling :)

Laura
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.