No. of Recommendations: 2
Hi cog07,

One rental agency tried to do that to me several years ago. They said they didn't have the car I had rented in stock, so I'd have to upgrade. I told them that this was not my problem and that they were obliged to give me a car at the rate they had quoted, whether that was the original car or an upgrade. They caved and I got a Mustang convertible at the price of a compact (or whatever my original was).

If I were you, I'd try writing to the district manager or higher, explain how upset you were and your status as a long-standing Gold member, and insist upon a refund of the extra charges. If you have the original quotation to you, that's extra ammunition.

What they did to you was equivalent to a bait-and-switch and they're obligated to give you a car at the originally quoted rate. It's not your fault they didn't have any at that time.

While you may refuse to be a customer of Hertz in the future, it's not good investing to let one personal bad experience dictate your view of the merits of investing in the company. If you're a shareholder, that gives you extra ammo for your letter, too.

Sorry to hear that you had such a bad experience and good luck with any pursuit of getting some money back.

Cheers,
Jim
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.