Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi Colovion,

Thank you for writing your response. I appreciate your sharing the background information which identifies how you have come to your position. I too have some background which helps me formulate my position. That does not mean that either of our positions is right or wrong – just that they are where we are coming from and a starting place from which we can dialogue.

At one point I drove a cab in a metropolitan area of about 1 million. While driving the cab I made it a point to work the “bad” side of town. I found in that experience that if you treat people with respect, they respond in kind. I never felt fear or unease even though some of my fares were likely individuals who could cause harm to others. Never carried a weapon, nor do I want to.

I understand what you are saying about the 90 lb. girl against the 200 lb man who wants to do her harm, or the 90 year old going up against the 20 year old thug. In both those instances, the trick in using a weapon (i.e., gun) is being able to get it when taken by surprise. I equate it to some of the junk insurance we are talking about in other threads – it gives you piece of mind and perhaps a false sense of security of its availability when you absolutely need it.

I prefer using my wits and experience to first avoid, and then get out of difficult situations when confronted. Looking to call 911 is an option, but not viable when someone can pull the trigger before you press the first digit. It makes no difference if the 911 response time is 3 minutes or 45 minutes, the response time of a bullet is milliseconds.

“The way I look at it is that ours is a world governed by the aggressive use of force. Sure, we have civilization in order to temper said force but that's more of a facade really because regardless of how many laws we have on the books …”

Yes there is aggression and violence. And there are individuals who will push the limits. But in a civilized society, limits are set and individuals become aware of those limits – they know there will be consequences to their actions. In the instance cited of Mr. Dunn pulling out his gun and shooting another over loud music, the existing laws did not prevent that. But there will be consequences for Mr. Dunn. And those consequences will give pause to other individuals that taking out one’s momentary anger are not acceptable in our society. No, it does not help the victim – he is still dead. But standards of behavior are set. Through the process of experience, our society learns how to raise those standards such that individuals are deterred because the consequences of their actions are unacceptable to them.

Will this save the immediate victim? No. Will this curb aggression and violence in our society? Yes. Individuals will learn there are consequences to their actions and a lawless, wild west mentality of behavior is not tolerated.

Now, as to carrying guns. In the instance of Mr. Dunn, the availability of a lethal weapon allowed Mr. Dunn to act on his emotion with tragic consequences. Had Mr. Dunn been able to reach in his pocket and only pull out marshmallows, this would have been a non-event. That is part of the push for gun control – limit the availability and you begin to cut into situations such as Mr. Dunn’s.

In your next post you said:

“I'd have zero problem with anyone with a concealed carry license carrying on an airplane.”

That thought might be worth re-thinking. It caused me to do a quick bit of research. A single bullet hole in the airliner’s structure may not be an issue. But if the bullet causes a window to shatter or there are multiple bullets fired, the results could be more devastating.

”Bullets cause explosive decompression”
“Aircraft fuselages are designed with ribs to prevent tearing; the size of the hole is one of the factors that determines the speed of decompression, and a bullet hole is too small to cause rapid or explosive decompression.”

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncontrolled_decompression

”Explosive decompression can occur when a bullet is fired through the fuselage of a pressurized airplane, causing the hole to grow dramatically and possibly cause the plane to break up as seen in movies.”

“busted”

“The pressure is not high enough and the hole is too small. Explosive decompression only occurred when a hole the size of a window was made with explosives. Even then, the rush of air could not suck Buster completely out of the hole. Lastly, there are proven instances of explosive decompression where the plane was still able to maintain control and land.”

http://mythbustersresults.com/episode10

Although a single bullet fired in an airliner cabin may not cause structural damage, the potential of killing or wounding of unintended individual(s) is still there.

You and I may continue to disagree and that is alright. Perhaps some of what I said may impact your thinking and open new possibilities for you, or perhaps both of us.

Thank you for sharing,
Bob
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.