Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
HI Craig

Thanks for a most interesting reply. I appreciate you sharing your experiences with me. Please see my comments ...

I went the Gomez route over about a two years ago.
OK..then you know all about the reviews..

(This was about 6 months before I got a lump sum buyout from my former employer.

I have done everything but beg for one at my company.. If I had hot the corporate Lotto..I would have received 2 full years of salary.. I am very happy since.I only have 8 days left with them before I retire..well retire from them.. I may take a few years off.. The word retired sounds so final..

I'm afraid that I don't have time to do a current review of their reviews.)
OK..

At that time, I found the Gomez ratings to be a reasonable enough starting point for selecting an online broker. I then lurked on the Discount Brokers Board at the Fool to see the (mainly) gripes and praises offered by the posters concerning their brokerage experiences! You will learn a lot there!

Thanks Craig for the tip.. I spent a few hours today scanning some of the thousands of posts on the discount broker forum.. I printed quite a few to read and savor later..Have to sift the truth ..from fact and fiction !

I also have 3 accounts at Schwab. (A Schwab One and two Roth IRAs.) None of the accounts are significant in size but I am still treated well. I use their direct links to my checking accounts to move money around. Also since I automatically deposit more than $250 a month into my accounts, there are no fees associated with these accounts. (I like that!) I also use and like their Equity Report Card as a starting point for analyzing a potential stock buy.

Thanks.. So far looks like a majority of folks like Schwab. All brokers have some good,bad and ugly. I will being buying corporate bonds so I am not too concerned about equity fees and all.. at least for the time being.. I can do as you have done ..viz. open up an or two here and there..

Unfortunately, for Schwab, I am into MI Screens and trade approx. 20 stocks annually and 3 stocks monthly.

Please elaborate ..not sure what the MI screen are?? Market Indicator/data ??..sorry please pardon my lack of MI screen knowledge..

Schwab's trading costs would be too onerous. That is why I selected Waterhouse, I can trade at less than half the costs and they have a very broad product line.

That is great.. save those $$$ for fun junkets and a little R&R here and there..

I have never had an unresolved problem with Schwab (and believe me they screw things up like any other brokerage) which is a plus. In fact, I actually look forward to talking to Schwab reps. as I know that I will be treated well. Just imagine how you will be treated if they have your "mother load"!

You right on the money.... Schawab has have been very responsible, prmpt and friendly.. I was a little unhappy with Fidelity.. They were super nice when they heard my balances ..Then when I probed and asked lots of Foolish questions..they I suppose sort of knew I was on them and had fee issues... but..we all have to make some $$$$

In the spirit of full disclosure, I have accounts with Schwab, TDWaterhouse, Buy&Hold, ETrade, and Fidelity. It is crazy to have money spred out like this but because of 401k and reinvestment account I have to keep Buy&Hold and Fidelity. I keep ETrade with a minimum amount to avoid fees just so I can have access to their bond database. Schwab is wher I started with my IRAs several years ago and like then so well that I just can abide the thought of moving those accounts elsewhere (although I wish that they didn't have such a high $$$ minimum to get into their low cost series of index funds). And TDWaterhouse is certainly meeting my frequent trading needs and are pleasant enough if I have a problem that needs resolved.

Which firm would you suggest that would afford me the most data for Bond/s purchase. Especially since I don't have a Schwab a/c open yet..I really can't dig too deep on their site.. without an a/c

Of all of them I do think that Schwab would make you feel best about being their client based upon the "mother load theory"!

Yes yes !!

Thanks Craig !!

Regards,

RB

Best of Luck,
Craig

P.S. Sorry but didn't have time to visually spell and grammar check!

No problem..
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.