Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi demiller

The real question you should be asking yourself is whether you are a resident or non resident for tax purposes. If a non resident than you basically only have to account for tax to the country that you are living in!

Mind you watch out for the withholding taxes as they will hurt a bit...

I follow all your posts with great interest but the piece above, regarding withholding tax has me a little puzzled. It seems to refer to some tax changes that are about to come into effect on July 1st.

Do I detect that there will, from that date, be a witholding tax placed on the capital gain of an ASX held Australian share, held by a foreign national living in a foreign country?

Maybe I have misunderstood the position as I thought the current situation was that there is no such tax on shares owned by foreigners.

Thanks for your help


Print the post  


What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.