Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi demiller1

Thanks for the very prompt reply.

Non Residents are liable for capital gains only if a CGT asset has a connection with Australia (which includes shareholding of a public listed company which is 10% or more of the issued capital).

The particular company I have shares in (Novogen) pays no dividends therefore no problem there I assume. Also I own substantially less than 10% of the issued capital, again no problem. However still a little confused. What is meant by "only if a CGT (capital gains tax?) asset has a connection with Australia"?

Putting it another way do you mean (which does NOT include shareholding of a public listed company which is 9.99% or LESS of the issued capital)?

To this simple soul, the asset or share, of any Australian company has a connection with Australia by definition...... or am I just being particularly thickheaded today? (wouldn't be the first time). Maybe you meant "asset HOLDER"?

Thanks again for all your efforts, much appreciated,


(apologies for ommitting the 1 in your handle, last post)
Print the post  


When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.